Tired of this weather? I'm not. Yes, it's been below 10 degrees more days this winter than the last 6 winters combined. The Farmer's Almanac additionally is predicting a mess of weather this February to top it off. To get through the cold and snowy days this winter, you've got to get a little more creative to stay as fit as you are in the peak of the summer.
- Find a fitness class on YouTube that has a high number of views to conveniently sweat in the comfort of your own home.
- Area bike shops and fitness stores have indoor cycling classes where you bring your own bike, some even provide bike trainers for a small fee.
- Swimming is a great indoor activity and can be very therapeutic if you're feeling those lazy winter aches and pains from sitting all day.
- On days when the roads and sidewalks aren't clear, find a friend and go running in a multi-level parking garage (as long as it's not rush hour!). I like the lots at Johnson County Community College and the garage by Capitol Grille on the Plaza and can run about 45 minutes without getting bored (as long as your friend is chatty).
- The cross country skiing is excellent out at Shawnee Mission Park and even has groomed trails if the amount of snow is significant enough.
- Fitness classes at your gym. Try a new class you've never tried. I have found a great spinning classes at the Jewish Community Center and have been getting the itch to try their CrossFit class.
- Gear up and get outside. Even on cold days, during most of the winter months the sidewalks are clear. Get into a Garry Gribble's store to find the right clothing and accessories to keep you warm and help you forget about the temperature.
Whatever it is you find to do, share with your friends and help us all stay out of the winter funk. February is the shortest month of the year so spring is almost here!